East Linton Village

East Lothian Scotland

East Linton is a beautiful small village just of the A199 or A1 beside the River Tyne. On the north side of the A1 is where you will find the village and Preston Mill on the south side is where you will find Hailes Castle. In the centre of the village is a water fountain with cherubs and lights. The old parish church dates from circa 1770 with parts from the original church circa 1250. The Castle has been on this site circa 1240 the owner the Gourlay family from Northumbria lived here a well heeled family of the day. The Castle then became the Hepburn family seat for the the next century before it was put to siege by Archibald Dunbar who killed all within the Castle. Mary Queen of Scots stayed here 1567, Cromwell attacked and  damaged the Castle in 1650 and lived in by the Dalrymple Family before moving to a mansion house near Musselburgh in 1709 to which they called Newhailes after their estate and Castle at East Linton.

East Linton Village Bridge East Lothian
 

Hailes Castle 

East Linton East Lothian

Hailes Castle was originally founded as a fortified tower house in 1240, one of the oldest constructions of its kind still in existence in Scotland. The castle stands on a headland beside the River Tyne. Also you can see Traprain Law the site of the largest Roman treasure found outside Rome. This is also thought to be a site of a Roman Fort. 

Hailes Castle East Linton East Lothian

Preston Mill and Phantassie Do’cot 

East Linton East Lothian

The Preston mill has stood on this site since circa 1590 and was still in use until 1959. This is the best example of a meal mill from the 16th century in Scotland. Preston Mill’s machinery is still in working order. It is situated close to the River Tyne near the village of East Linton in East Lothian. There are tours that give a great idea of the conditions of the time and how things work.

 
Preston Mill East Linton East Lothian
Phantassie Do'cot Preston Mill East Lint

St Andrew’s Kirk 

East Linton

St Andrew’s Church was built in 1843 to house the breakaway Free Church of Scotland, and was used as a school house on weekdays. The bell in the church as been in place since 1884 a memorial to Mr Scott. The clock was then installed 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.

East Linton Parish Church East Lothian

East Linton Fountain

East Lothian

The fountain 1882 with lamps, standing in scalloped iron basin; scalloped canopy above, with four children pouring water from urns. The Fountain was presented to the Burgh of East Linton by John Drysdale who emigrated to Buenos Aires and became a wealthy businessman.

Drinking Fountain East Linton East Lothian
East Linton Fountain Plaque East Lothian

Prestonkirk House

East Lothian Scotland

Prestonkirk House can be seen at the entrance to Stories Park. Stories Park takes its name from the Storie family of veterinary surgeons, who lived in The Square and kept racehorses in their ‘park’. Francis Storie (d.1875) was East Linton’s chief magistrate 1866-72. Storie Park the first house was a poorhouse built in 1864 for the poor of East Lothian.

Drinking Fountain East Linton East Lothian

East Linton

River Tyne

East Lothian Scotland

The water through the Linn and pool, the old Tyne bridge (Lintern Briggis) built circa 1550 that gives access to the village over the river and the main crossing of the Tyne in the 1500’s used by the English Armies. This area is great for walkers and explorers with much to see and beautiful scenic routes and t finish it of a hotel restaurant and bar and free parking.  If you follow the Tyne up to the Linn Rocks, you come to the original ‘Lintoun’, where the settlement began circa 1000 years ago.

Waterfall East Linton East Lothian
East Linton Pool at Bridge East Lothian

Prestonkirk

East Linton

East Lothian Scotland

Prestonkirk East Linton is Dedicated to St Baldred, The Church tower built circa 1631 and the main building from 1770 in the burial ground can be found the graves of Andrew Meikle, inventor of the threshing machine, and George Rennie, agriculturalist and brother of John Rennie, the civil engineer.

Preston Kirk East Linton East Lothian

John Rennie

East Linton East Lothian

The Memorial to John Rennie can be seen on the road out of East Linton towards Dunbar. John Rennie was born on 7 June 1761 at Phantassie Farm near the memorial. He was the engineer who built the Waterloo Bridge in London and it is believed part of the memorial is built with stone work from the old Waterloo bridge. The inscription on the plaque reads; The memorial to John Rennie (1761 -1824) civil engineer was erected in 1936 and relocated at this site in 1981 by The East Lothian Antiquarian and Field Naturalists Society The Institution of Engineers Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons Limited.

John Rennie Memorial East Linton East Lo
John Rennie Memorial Plaque East Linton

Pencraig Standing Stone

East Linton East Lothian

This Standing tone is a Prehistoric three-sided pillar

which can be seen from the old AI just before East Linton turn off.  In the background is Berwick Law a Iron age hill fort. Could this be a distance marker from ancient times.

Pencraig Standing Stone East Linton East Lothian

Drylaw Hill Do'cot

East Linton East Lothian

The Beehive do'cot that stands on Drylaw Hill was built mid 1500's the holes at the roof are to allow the birds in and the door is for access to the birds for fresh meat. Great views of East Linton from here.

Smeaton-Hepburn Estate

East Linton East Lothian

Smeaton- Hepburn  Estate was the home of the Hepburns for four centuries. The mansion House has long been removed and now is a country park with one of the few man made Lakes in Scotland, formed in 1820. Smeaton nursery and cafe is a Victorian Walled Garden. The Estate is free of charge to visit.

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian