Garvald Village

East Lothian

Garvald Village

Garvald village is in a valley beside the Papana Water.  This picture postcard village built almost entirely from red sandstone dates back to the early 12th century.  Walk around the village and take in the scenery.  The church and grounds are worth the visit. The School and school house built  circa 1840 can be still seen in the village (now private residence).

Garvald and Barra

Parish Church

Gavald Kirk was built early 12th century and the north-west corner of the church is original. There is a sundial date 1633 and the north aisle is circa 1670. The Kirk was renovated and extended in 1829 adding Gothic windows and a Belfry

Garvald and Barra Church East Lothian

Stoneypath Tower

East Lothian

Stoneypath Tower built circa 1350 by the Lyles family prior to moving to Duchal Castle, stands over the Paple water on the outskirts of Garvald and Whittingehame.

George Lyle occupant of Stoneypath circa 1460. Stoneypath was the ancient seat of the Lyle family circa 1460. The Tower passed from the Lyle family to the Douglas family, the most powerful family in Scotland.

It was attacked on several occasions and also changed hands through many of the most prominent families in Scotland including the Hamilton’s and Seton family.

The Tower has stood in ruin for over 200 years and after many years has been restored to its former glory. The plaque tells more of the history.

Stoneypath Tower Plaque East Lothia
Stoneypath Tower Plaque East Lothian

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian