Glenkinchie East Lothian

Glenkinchie Distillery

Visitor Centre

Glenkinchie Distillery is owned by the drinks conglomerate Diageo. Glenkinchie Whisky is a single malt. 

 

Glenkinchie Distillery History

The Rate brothers started their whisky making in 1825 when they opened a distillery which they called Milton.

They then expanded and built the present distillery on the current site in 1837 when the name became Glenkinchie bases in a glen where the Kinchie Burn flows. Giving the name.

This only lasted 16 years (1853) when the Rate brothers were sequestrated (bankrupt) and whisky making stopped. In 1881 the distillery opened once again and with new investors the plant was rebuilt and expanded into its present form.  

With a number of small distilleries Rosebank, St. Magdalene, Grange and Clydesdale Glenkinchie formed Scottish Malt Distillers in 1914. The Glenkinchie distillery closed in 1968 and is now a Museum and Visitor Centre where you can see how whisky is made and try a selection of homemade Scottish whiskies.  

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian