Gosford House

Pleasure Grounds & Policies

East Lothian

Gosford House 

Earls of Wemyss and March

Longniddry

East Lothian

The most prominent house in Longniddry is Gosford House on the Gosford Estate owned by the (Charteris Family) Earls of Wemyss and March, who resides here on his 5,000 acre estate. The house was design by Robert Adam and was completed in 1808. The House is available for private or corporate functions and weddings. The are many things to see in the grounds of Gosford and the grounds can be access with a permit for the day from the Bothy Farm Shop. I found that access is easy from the Bothy across from Craigielaw golf course. (free car park). Francis Charteris of Amisfield 6th Earl of Wemyss designed the landscape of the grounds in 1779 the New House foundation stone was laid in 1791. Stables were built in 1790. 

The Old Gosford House was demolished in 1938 and was used as a holiday home of King James V circa 1505. Outlander the time travel TV series used the Gosford estate for the series. 

Gosford House and Policies East Lothian

Gosford Estate

Walled Garden

 Bothy and Car Park

Things to see in the Pleasure grounds and policies are the Curling House circa 1840 | The Mausoleum  | Ice House | Boat House | Lagoons | Curling House | Stables Garden Cottage | Bothy Cottage | Gosford House

Gosford House from Bothy Start East Loth
Gosford House Car Park at Botthy.JPG
Gosford House Walled Garden East Lothian

Gosford House

Boat House

 Longniddry

East Lothian

The boat house is for rowing boats and a great place for swimming. The medallion at the highest point in the centre is of Coade stone and depicts Hygiene goddess of health.

Gosford House Boat House Longniddry East
Gosford House Boat House Landside Gosfor

Gosford House

Earl of Wemyss

Mausoleum 

Longniddry

East Lothian

 

The Mausoleum was built by Francis (Wemyss) Charteris (1723-1808), self proclaimed 7th, Earl of Wemyss, circa 1805, who died at Gosford on 24 August 1808 (85) and was “buried there in a mausoleum erected by himself” on the gate posts are crouching slaves with flaying knives. Built in the form of a replica of the Great Pyramid with one entrance. He is the only Weymss occupant to date.

Gosford House Mausoleum Earl Weymess and March Gosfrod House Estate East Lothian

Gosford House

Curling House 

Longniddry

East Lothian

The Curling House was made from limestone circa 1840 and used by the Aberlady Curling Club. Over the winter months the lagoon would freeze over enabling the curlers to use the ice.

Gosford House Curling House at Lake.JPG

Gosford House

Boating Lagoons

Longniddry

East Lothian

Gosford House Lagoon house in back.JPG

Gosford House

Ice House 

Longniddry

East Lothian

The first in refrigeration, it was a long way for the ice for your drink and the fresh meat

Gosford House Ice House Gosford Estate E

Gosford House

Bothy Cottage 

Longniddry

East Lothian

Gosford House Ice House Gosford Estate E

Gosford House

Garden Cottage 

Longniddry

East Lothian

Gosford House

Lily Pond

Gosford Pleasure Grounds and Policies

East Lothian

Gosford House Lily Pond Gosford Estate E

Gosford House

Coach House and Stables

Gosford Pleasure Grounds and Policies

East Lothian

The coach House and Stables has a clock which was made by Veitch of Haddington in 1792. Stone swan above the clock and urns with plaques depicting griffins flanking an Urn.

Gosford House Old House and Stables Gosf
Stables Clock Gosford House Stone Swan on Top East Lothian
Wall Tablet Coach House 2 Griffins and an Urn GOsford Estate East Lothian
Coach House Roof Gosford Estate East Lothian
Gosford House Coach House East Lothian
Coach House Plaque Gosford Estate East Lothian

Gosford House

Gosford Pleasure Grounds and Policies

East Lothian

Gosford House woodlands and water drainage system is network of drains and aqueducts that maintain the level of the water in the pond and Lagoons.

Gosford House Sunken Wall and Woodland.J

Following government guidelines, our 2020 open days have been cancelled and will resume for Easter 2021, the 1st weekend of April. In the meantime,

private tours can be arranged, following government guidelines.

The Gosford Grounds are open to the public. 

Accessed can be gained by purchasing a day permit (£1) or an annual permit (£15) at the Bothy Shop, which is open Tuesday to Saturday; 9-5pm.

Gosford House

Activities and Tours

Longniddry

East Lothian

The Gosford Games is an interactive Highland Games event including demonstrations and participation with guests divided into teams vying to become Highland Games champions – Events range from throwing the Caber,

Throwing the Wheat-sheaf, Highland Dancing to the Tug of War.   Also available Clay Pigeon shooting, Archery,

Cricket skills and drills plus mini matches, Whisky tasting, Falconry, displays and handling, Horse riding for beginners to advanced and Guided nature walks. 

 

Tour Gosford House's interior and see the the owners residence the amazing architecture and family portraits over two centuries. The architecture over 100 years of master architects. The tour will take up to 90 minutes, then you can take a stroll around the magnificent grounds. 

There is also a beach and Golf course (Craigielaw).

 

Gosford House,
Longniddry,
East Lothian,
Scotland, EH32 0PX

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian