Inveresk Village

East Lothian

Inveresk Village on the outskirts of Musselburgh in East Lothian was where a significant Roman Fort (Town) stood circa 120 A.D. or before. The settlement stretched over a mile to the east. This is also where the English camped (Led by Somerset) before the massacre of the Scots at Pinkie Cleuch in 1547.  It was also used by Cromwell in 1650 when he was on a rampage burning Scotland. The latest famous person in the village was Maggie Dickson whose' fame was living after being hanged in Edinburgh for child murder circa 1720. Which changed the law from being Hanged, to being hanged till dead.

Inveresk Village East Lothian

St. Michael’s

Parish Church

East Lothian

St. Michael’s Parish is an iconic building and can be seen from miles around. A church has been on this site from near the end of the Roman Empire in 550 AD. A new church was built in the early 16th century which was occupied by Cromwell, Somerset and Bonnie Prince Charlie. The St Michael's Church that can be seen now was built 1806. There are many things to see around the church and graveyard.

Inveresk Parish Church East Lothian

Inveresk Lodge

​East Lothian

The Lodge was built circa 1680 and the original gardens laid out circa 1850.

Inveresk Lodge was the home of the Wedderburns for almost 150 years during that period Andrew Skiving of Athelstaneford.  He was staying in Inveresk Lodge as a guest when he suddenly died in 1819. Archibald was a portrait painter and has a number of paintings in the National Gallery in Edinburgh. 

Inveresk Lodge Inveresk East Lothian

Inveresk Lodge Gardens

​East Lothian

The gardens extend over 13 acres and were laid out from 1850 -1920 including a woodland of Elm, Oak, lime and a old Yew tree. There are many shrubs and flowers with a glasshouse and ponds. Te sundial dates from the mid 17th century.

Inveresk Lodge Gardens East Lothian
Inveresk Lodge Gardens East Lothian

Inveresk

War Memorial Cross

​East Lothian

​The Inveresk War Memorial stand at the gates to Inveresk parish church and is dedicated to First World War (1914-1918)Second World War (1939-1945)

On the Cross Shaft the inscription reads; IN MEMORY | THOSE | FROM THIS | PARISH WHO | GAVE THEIR | LIVES IN THE | GREAT WAR | 1914 - 1918  AND WHO BY | DYING LIVE | THIS STONE | IS RAISED

 

On the Base th e inscription reads: REMEMBER THEM ALSO | WHO SUFFERED DEATH  | 1939-1945​​

Inveresk War Memorial Cross East Lothian

Inveresk House

East Lothian

Inveresk House is the oldest property in Inveresk built in 1597 and has believed to have had many famous guests over the centuries, Duke of Somerset, Oliver Cromwell, Bonnie Prince Charlie and Sir Walter Scott. Oliver Cromwell had his Headquarters in Inveresk House in 1650​.

Inveresk House East Lothian

Shepherd House

Inveresk

East Lothian

The Shepherd House can be located on the corner of Crookston Road.

Shepherd House was built circa 1690 and has one of the most famous gardens in Britain.

The Fraser’s family's home since 1957.  Sir Charles Fraser Honorary Member of The Merchant Company and a very successful businessman (Retired). Lady Ann Fraser is a Botanical Artist and amazing garden designer.

Shepherd's House Inveresk East Lothian
Shepherd's House Garden Inveresk East Lo

Duke of Somerset Plaque

Inveresk

East Lothian

Lewisvale Park stone pillar, forming part of a stone wall.  After the death of Henry VIII in January 1547 the Duke of Somerset (Edward Seymour) became Protector of England until Prince Edward, later to be Edward VI came of age. Somerset lead an army and a fleet of ships into Scotland which resulted in the Battle of Pinkie Cleuch. 

Esk Grove Estate was his camp after the battle.

Duke of Somerset's Encampment Inveresk E

Duke of Somerset's Encampment

Inveresk

East Lothian

The wall stone inscribed with the words 

"The Protector Duke of Somerset Encamped here 9th September 1547".

English Camp of Somerset 1547 East Lothi

Lewisvale Park

Inveresk

East Lothian

Lewisvale Park public park situated on the Inveresk road opposite Musselburgh High School. The land was purchased in 1910 by the Brown brothers from the Esk Grove Estate and they had a park and gardens laid. Which were opened in 1911 in memory of their deceased father. The Park was named Lewisvale after the Brown’s childhood home. The park has a secure children’s play area a bandstand, gardens and an aviary which is in a walled garden area. It also has a cricket Square and Tennis courts. There is a Lamppost which was erected in honour of Jessie Burns Musselburgh’s only Lady Provost,1974. The Post was moved to this position in 2000. The Bandstand was erected circa 1909 and was made in the Lion Foundry in Kirkintilloch “No 33 bandstand,1909”.

Lewisvale walled Garden and Aviary.
Bandstand Lewisvale Park Musselburgh Eas
Childrens Play Park Lewisvale Park Musse

Lady Lord Provost

Musselburgh

Lewisvale Park public park at the west entrance is a Lamppost which was erected in honour of Jessie Burns Musselburgh’s only Lady Provost,1974. The Post was moved to this position in 2000. 

Provost Lamp Post Lewisvale Park Musselb
Provost Lamp post Plaque lewisvale Park

Cricket Pitch & Pavillion

Lewisvale Park

Inveresk

East Lothian

​​ The cricket Oval was part of the Roman ‘Colonia’ (civilian settlement) that grew around the Roman Fort of Inveresk. This settlement was the largest in Northern Britain. circa 140 AD. There has been many Roman artefacts found around this area. The most significant two alters (large stone slabs) with inscriptions and raised icons were found when the new cricket pavilion was being built. Also a grave stone of a cavalryman named Crescens.  

Lewisvale Park Cricket Pavillion Inveres

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian