Stenton East Lothian
William Wallace rewarded Sir Robert de Lawedre with the lands of Stenton in 1297 after the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Stenton can be found south of the A1 at East Linton and south west of Dunbar. In mid 1800's this was a vibrant village with almost 1000 residents, shops and businesses.
Walking around Stenton Village is peaceful and enjoyable with many things to see. One of the attractions of Stenton must be the Garden with the sculptured hedges. Man and Women, Elephant and more
The Tron was a public weigh post that was used to weigh goods for sale The Trn is a landmark for where the weekly market too place, which was the centre of the village. The Girl Guide association restored the Tron in 1970 to commemorate the golden jubilee of the Girl Guide association.
Holy Rood Well
The Rood well or the 'Cardinal's Hat' has always been known a a lucky charm First built circa 1130 the well was built by the local monks to aid travelers their journey between Melrose and Newbattle where two of the main Abbeys stood.
This extract was taken from William R Cox detailed description of the well in The Antiquary (Volume 26) (published 1892). "a conical roof of stone in five courses, finished with a flowered finial of fourteenth-century date on the top"
Gothic Parish Church
The Stenton Parish Church was built in 1829. There are remains of the bell tower of the kirk built circa 1555 and many old graves from the time. The Tower now being used as a Do'cot as many old towers that survived the years have. The Old parish church in the village of Pitcox moved to use the newly built Kirk in Stenton in 561.
Stenton descended through six generations of the Logan family, one of the most important in Philadelphia.
In the 18th and early 19th centuries, the Logans were prominent Quakers and were actively involved in politics in the United States.
Ruchlaw House, was built in 1663 by Archibald Sydserff and the same family still occupies the house
There is a walled garden with Sundials dating from the 17th century
Lord Belhaven and Stenton, of the County of Haddington, is a Lordship of Parliament in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1647 for Sir John Hamilton, 2nd Baronet, with remainder to his heirs male. lived in Beil House.
Lake and Wood
Pressmennan Lake formed in 1819 one of only three lakes in Scotland is set below Pressmennan Wood. The wood is full of wildlife and many mythical beasts deer, owls and bats, ‘Glingbobs’ and ‘Tootflits’. who have made their homes in the old trees. The Trail which goes through the wood in a circle
was created by local sculptor Robin Wood. Lookout for the wildlife and if very lucky you might come across signs of the ‘Glingbobs’ and ‘Tootflits’
Pressmennan wood was originally full of Oak trees and and the wood from the was used in the building ships at Newhaven Harbour Leith Edinburgh. It is believed that the scottish navy's largest man'o'war the Great Michael and the Sirus which found New South Wales in Australia were both built of Pressmennan Oak circa 1500.