St Baldred, first came to the area circa 700 AD and opened a monastery and religious community.
The Monastery was attacked by Danes in 941 and was left in ruins. Circ 1150 a church was built close to the estuary of the River Tyne and soon there was a village which was named
Tyninghame or "village of the dwellers by the Tyne".
Tyninghame was given in a charter to the monks of St Cuthberts in 1094.
The Lands around Tyninghame became the property of the Earls of Haddington in 1628 and later circa 1700 the 6th Earl and his with landscaped the area by planting trees.
A year later the village was demolished by the Earl and moved as he felt it spoilt the view from his house.
The 9th Earl modernised the house having turrets and spires added circa 1830.
Tyninghame Village Hall
he Tyninghame village hall is at the centre of this small idyllic village in East Lothian. The VIllage was was moved in from its original position by the Laird of the big house as it was spoiling his view. The village hall was built circa 1840 originally the old bakers house.
Tyne River Estuary
It rises in the Moorfoot Hills in Midlothian near Tynehead and runs approximately 30 miles to its estuary with the firth of forth near Tyninghame where the village originally got it name.
The remains of the old church which was built at the mouth of the Tyne is now just a ruin.
This must be one of Scotland's top beaches with golden sand and a fantastic view of the Bass Rock. Tyninghame Beach sits between St Baldred's Cradle and Limetree each on the east coast Take a turn towards the sea at Newmains cOttages on the A198 follow the road to Scougall campsite.
St Baldred's Cradle
St Baldred's Cradle at Ravensheugh Sands is the rocky (outcrop) headland where an ancient cairn (stone mound) can be seen. this is a great view point for the east coast. This is a great geological place to see down the centuries in the rock formation.
Kirklandhill standing stone is one of two standing stones next to each other on the A1 both are in the region of 11 foot where most standing stones are about 9 foot in height. Kirkland Standing Stone is (11 foot) 3.35m high.