Wallyford

East Lothian

Wallyford East Lothian, a small village in East Lothian with views of the Firth of Forth standing circa 250 foot above sea level. Built on the road between Newbattle Abbey and Prestonpans the route taken by the monks of Newbattle when collecting salt from Prestonpans. Wallyford was originally a mining community as the lands from circa 1170 were rich in mineral (coal) which the Abbots of Newbattle first mined. The first pits at Wallyford were sunk in 1840

Wallyford Miners Memorial Stone East Lot

Wallyford Miners

Memorial Stone and Wagons

The inscription on the plaque reads;

Wallyford Mining Memorial Stone | In recognition of Wallyford as a Mining Community

The Wallyford memorial stone is in memory of the 38 miners who lost their lives in the wallyford collieries. To the miners of the village who lost their lives in other pits of the surrounding area and in remembrance of those miners whose lives were lost prematurely due to terrible working conditions.

Coal Wagon Memorial Wallyford (2).JPG
Coal Wagon Memorial Wallyford East Lothi
Wallyford Miners Stone. East Lothian

Willie Park Snr.

Wallyford

East Lothian

Two great sportsmen were born in Wallyford, Willie Park Senior the first winner of the Open Golf Championship, born June 1833 and died July 1903. Winning the golf open Championship in 1860, 1863, 1866 and 1875.

He lived at 23 Ravensheugh Road (not far from Wallyford and Musselburgh gold course where he won the open championship) until is death in 1903. 

Willie Park Snr. Musselburgh Open Golf C

Margaret Oliphant

Wallyford

East Lothian

Margaret Oliphant was born in Wallyford in 1828 She became a novelist and had her first book published in 1849.

Margaret was honoured by her Village she was born in (Wallyford), having a street named after her (Oliphant Gardens). 

Fa'side Castle

East Lothian

Fa’side (Fawside) Castle was built circa 1190 and burnt after the Battle of Pinkie Cleuch In 1547. Ten rebuilt within a short time as this is where Mary Queen of Scots stayed prior to the battle at Carberry Hill. Mary Queen of Scots surrendered to the confederate lords on the 15th June 1567 on Carberry Hill to save her Husband Earl of Bothwell. St Clements Wells Distillery opened in 1787 in the area close to Wallyford East Lothian adjacent to Fa’side Castle the farm below the castle being St Clements. The distillery closed in 1833.

Fa'side Castle Wallyford East Lothian

Battle of Pinkie Cleuch

Wallyford

East Lothian

Battle of Pinkie Cleuch Memorial Stone stand high overlooking where the fateful battle took place on 10 September 1547. The Last battle between the Scots and English of the Rough Wooing. Known as Black Saturday as circa 6000 Scots died. This was the first battle the combined forces of infantry, cavalry and artillery, and navy were used to defeat an enemy. The only later wars were the battles of the crown and not the countries. Earl of Hertford Edward Seymour the king’s uncle ruled England and took an army of soldiers including cavalry bound for Edinburgh destroying all that stood against them on the way. To stop them Regent Hamilton  lead a force of over 10,000  to stop the English attack on Edinburgh. The two armies met at the Esk where the English had also a fleet of war ships. The English position was so strong the attack on the Scottish army was bombarded by canon from the ships and land on three side before the army and cavalry finished them off. 

Battle of Pinkie Cleuch Memorial East Lothian

Jock Wallace Jr

Wallyford

East Lothian

Jock Wallace Jr. was born in Wallyford in September 1935. He first signed as a player for Blackpool before going on to a managerial career in 1966 as player-manager of Berwick Rangers. In 1967 he was known nationwide as the manager that beat Glasgow Rangers in the Scottish Cup the previous years Scottish Cup winners. He later became manager of Glasgow Rangers giving them two treble ( winners of all three Scottish trophies 1975 -1976 + 1977 – 1978. Jock Wallace Jr died after a illustrious football career as both play and manager and Glasgow Rangers icon. 

The Bass Rock North Berwick One of the natural wonders of the modern world with a lighthouse and ruined Castle

The white in the photo are birds nesting.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

© 2020 About East Lothian 

Bass Rock East Lothian